Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fall Time! ~Apples, Freezing apple Crisp

I LOVE fall! Everything about it, with the exception of maybe the ever-colder days, but so far we've had pretty decent weather and only a few frosty mornings so far.  I love going apple picking, but we haven't had any you-pick places open so I've been getting apples through a gentlemen who delivers to my office, much cheaper even than going to the you-pick orchard!  I have a bunch of things I want to blog about, now if I could only find the time to write the posts!!

With the first round of apples I got, I made an apple crisp from my aunt's recipe, and got it ready to freeze.  The cool thing about the recipe is this book:  My aunt (whose recipe I'm using) made this awesome cook book for me, filled with family recipes she gathered from family members and gifted it to us at our wedding!  I use it really often (Hence the mystery stain on the top left corner!)

I "altered" the recipe with a trick from my grandmother, though



Voila! Ready for baking or freezing!

To get it ready for freezing I put it in a disposable pan, covered with a layer of heavy duty tinfoil, then placed the plastic cover on it.  I wrote the type of apple crisp, this one was made with Paula Red apples, and the baking directions so when I pull it out of the freezer I don't have to look up the recipe!

Here's the recipe:
4 cups sliced tart apples (about 4 medium)
2/3-3/4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup margarine (I used real butter), softened
3/4 tsp cinnamon
3/4 tsp nutmeg
*Optional* 1/4-1/3 cup Orange Juice

Mix orange juice over sliced apples in greased square pan 8x8x2
Mix remaining ingredients, sprinkle over apples
Bake @ 375 degrees for 30 minutes
Serve Warm with French Vanilla Ice Cream
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment