Sunday, January 6, 2013

Grammy's fresh baked Bread


Today I set out to bake bread. A good way to spend a lazy Sunday :) It's only the 4th or 5th time I've ever done it, so I have definitely not perfected it, but I'd love to share my Grammy's recipe.

Grammy's recipe in my Mom's writing (See below).  This is the recipe my mom always uses, that she learned from my dad's mom when they first were married!


 (I varied this time and added the 2 pkgs yeast right to the water instead of sifting in with other ingredients because I was worried whether the yeast was still active or not, the packet looked like it had been in the cupboard for quite a while!
 
Add oil (1/3 cup)

Add flour 2 cups at a time until kneading consistency (My doughy hands didn't get any pics of this step)

Knead dough on floured surface

Add a Tbsp of oil to bottom of bowl

Put kneaded dough in top side down


Then flip over so top has oil on it as well as bottom

Cover and let rise in a warm spot

...waiting stinks!...
Now my favorite part! Punch it down!!! 



Grease the pans, I put some vegetable oil in and spread it out with a paper towel. 

Ready for second rise! Back to someplace warm and covered with a towel...
More waiting!!


Butter surfaces while warm. 

Let cool in pans for a few minutes then move to cooling racks.  Allow to completely cool before storing in bags. 

My favorite part: Enjoy!! 

(Kid approved!) 




Grammy's Bread Recipe:

  • 1 Qt Lukewarm (bath temp) water
  • 1/3 c. Vegetable Oil
  • 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 2 envelopes of rapid rise yeast
  • Flour - 2 cups at a time (I used about 8 cups for this recipe, and some more when I kneaded it)
Start out with your quart of water in a big bowl, add vegetable oil.  Sift in 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Stir to mix, separate any lumps.  Add 2 cups of flour at a time stirring after each. Once a soft/knead-able consistency put out on floured surface adding flour as needed to knead until no longer sticky.  Make sure to knead well to get out any air bubbles.  Wash out your bowl, add about 1 Tbsp oil to bottom of bowl, put bread dough in top side down, and roll over so both top and bottom get coated in the oil.  Put in warm spot, cover and let rise until doubled.  Punch down, separate into pans, or roll into rolls if you prefer.  Cover, allow to rise again to doubled size.  

Bake at 400-425 Degrees 
30 minutes for Bread
20 minutes for Rolls

No comments:

Post a Comment